I have been a member of the Pearcedale Fire Brigade for just over 5 years. My role as the 4th Lieutenant is the Community Safety Officer which includes:
- Be the point of contact point for Regional CFA Community Safety staff.
- Become familiar with and promote the range of CFA fire safety programs, products and services to the brigade and community.
- Place a sign outside the station when restrictions come into force or on days of a Total Fire Ban.
- Ensure all brigade members have completed a Bushfire Survival Plan and/or Home Fire Escape Plan.
- Liaise with the Brigade Management Team (BMT), BASO or Community Education Coordinator (CEC) to plan for or report on any local community engagement activity (for example: providing fire safety information through letterbox drops or doorknocks to at risk households).
- Liaise and build partnerships with any local community groups to strengthen the brigade profile in the community.
- Ensure that brigade members are complying with the Volunteer Code of Conduct and Equal Opportunities Access and Equity Principles when carrying out any community safety tasks, such as those listed above.